Wednesday, October 20, 2010

From Heck It Twas Spawned

One of the first criticisms I ever received at CCS was that my work was too "edgy." At the time, I just sort of shrugged it off, but the seed of thought was planted and it didn't take very long for it to take root. While it's fun drawing tough guys with guns, I started to feel like I was becoming a one-trick-pony. So this year I made it a personal goal to try new things. In this case, I wanted to attempt to make something cute. This idea soon expanded into transforming something abhorrent into something cute (Hey, one step at a time). I sat down to begin sketching a few ideas for characters before settling on a demon; something born from hell. Thus the Heckspawn was... Spawned...


It didn't take me very long to decide on what direction I wanted to take the Heckspawn anatomically. It's basically an impish fawn, bred from hatred, with an exposed skull, sans mandible... Except it's cute. These concepts are examples of me playing with its proportions, silhouette, and emotion. I really liked the sketch in the bottom left corner, it felt like it was telling a story, so I decided to take it a farther.


Satisfied with adorable monstrosity that I had created, I then made orthographic sketches for what will eventually become a finished 3D Model.


Adorable.

Stay Evil,
-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment